Goals and Objectives of the Initiative
The goals of this project are:
- to further develop, implement and expand Reading Recovery, an innovative, research-based one-to-one early literacy intervention for first grade students struggling with learning to read and write, and
- to deepen the understanding of teachers and administrators about effective approaches to improving the literacy learning of K-3 elementary students.
The goals will be achieved through accomplishing the following objectives:
- Develop and disseminate live and on-demand web-based distance learning programming that deepens the expertise of early literacy specialists and supports effective school literacy teams.
- Develop and disseminate professional development tools that support the continuous learning of Reading Recovery and classroom teachers.
- Conduct an evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of one-to-one early literacy intervention for the lowest students, as compared to small group instruction.
- Develop and disseminate information, materials, and professional development about Reading Recovery as an effective Response to Intervention method.
- Develop and disseminate professional learning resources for school administrators on approaches to implement effective literacy learning in school systems.
- Enable highly qualified teachers to access top-quality professional development in early literacy intervention.
It is anticipated that teachers and administrators in every state in the country will utilize the resources and programs included in this initiative, and therefore schools and students throughout the nation will benefit.